We have changed our name to:
Small Business Services.
Our website will remain available and our content will stay the same as we work to update the name throughout the website. You can expect to see both the Canada Business Ontario and Small Business Services names appearing on the site temporarily as we make this transition.
Buy a Business or Start Your Own
Starting a business can be overwhelming for first time entrepreneurs. If you have a great idea and are ready to work hard, then you may wish to start your own business. But if you want to avoid some of the common challenges of starting a business, buying an existing business or a successful franchise may be a better option.
Starting your own business
- Complete freedom to design and manage the business according to your vision.
- Not bound by anyone else's rules, history or assets.
- Opportunity to bring something new to the market.
- Can be less expensive than buying a successful business.
- Can take a while until you are profitable.
- There is no guarantee of business success and there is a high rate of failure for new businesses.
- More difficult to get financing because lenders or investors are taking a risk with your idea.
Buying an existing business or franchise
- Benefit from the work that has already been done on establishing a brand, developing customer relationships, developing business processes and acquiring assets.
- Can start making profits more quickly.
- Easier to get financing because the business model is proven.
- The up-front investment is often higher than if you were starting your own business.
- The previous owner and/or franchisor's business model and way of doing business may not be a perfect match with what you envision.
For more information on buying a business or starting your own and other business topics, contact Small Business Services today. Telephone services are available in English or French.